Surgical Site Infection Report Form
Surgical site infections
Post-operative infections account for a small but significant proportion of surgical complications. In the face of the continuing development of multiple drug resistant micro-organisms, infections will become increasingly difficult to manage.
We are aware of our responsibilities in infection control, which we take very seriously. As such we audit all our clinical cases to assess the incidence of surgical site infections (SSI).
If you as referring veterinary surgeon diagnose an SSI in a patient having had surgery at Southfields Veterinary Specialists, then please complete and submit the online form below.
Thank you very much for your co-operation!
Infections can be either superficial or deep, or they can involve a body cavity.
Superficial Incisional Surgical Site Infection
Infection occurs within 30 days following the procedure, involving only the skin and subcutaneous tissue of the incision site and at least one of the following:
- Purulent discharge
- Pain or tenderness
- Localised swelling
- Redness or heat
Deep Incisional Surgical Site Infection
Infection occurs within 30 days following the procedure if no implant is left in place or within one year if the implant is in place. It involves deep soft tissue (fascia, muscle) of the incision site and at least one of the following:
- Spontaneous dehiscence
- Localised pain or tenderness
Organ/Cavity Surgical Site Infection
Infection occurs within 30 days following the procedure if no implant is left in place or within one year if the implant is in place. It can involve any part of the anatomy (organs, cavities) other than the incision which was opened or manipulated during the procedure and at least one of the following:
- Purulent discharge from a drain that has been placed surgically
- Abscessation or other evidence of infection noted on direct examination, diagnostic imaging or exploratory laparotomy
Registration Form for Surgical Site Infection Report
All information submitted will be held securely and used only by Southfields Veterinary Specialists, and never passed to third parties without your express permission.
Already signed up?
Why Sign Up?
- Speed up the submission process by auto-completing your details
- Register for Southfields Veterinary Specialists information updates
- Manage your details for information updates
- Review your past referral history all in one convenient place
How to Sign Up?
- Sign up using the sign up form
- Complete this form and simply add a username and password at the end of this form
Please complete the following details:
(NB: This form should ONLY be used by Veterinary Surgeons, not by pet owners)