Pet Travel Advice after Brexit

December 24, 2020

From 1 January, pet passports will no longer be valid for travel to and from the EU. Official Animal Health Certificates will be required for dogs, cats and ferrets.

Official Veterinarians (OVs) issued EU pet passports will no longer be valid to travel to Europe.

Instead, pets travelling from Great Britain to the EU will need an Animal Health Certificate (up to five pets on one certificate).

We will be issuing these to owners travelling with their pet to the EU from 1 January 2021.

This will affect your travel if you are arriving in an EU Member State after 11pm (GMT) on 31 December 2020.

Your pet must:

  • Have a functioning microchip or tattoo
  • Have a rabies vaccination at least 21 days before travel
  • Enter the EU via a designated Traveller’s Point of Entry
  • Have an Animal Health Certificate written in the official language of the country they will enter the EU
  • Receive treatment against Echinococcus (a tapeworm) 24-120 hours before returning to Great Britain

The Animal Health certificate is:

  • Valid for ten days from the date of issue
  • Valid for a single trip into the EU
  • Valid for onward travel within the EU for four months
  • Valid for re-entry to Great Britain for four months after the date of issue

We suggest that you discuss your travel plans with your vet at least one month before your intended travel plans to ensure your pet is prepared for travel.

Please contact us to advise on the steps required to ensure your pet is prepared for travel and ensure you have the required appointments booked for your pet.

The best place to check for the most up to date information is on the government website: