The future of veterinary referral
It’s an exciting time for Southfields Veterinary Specialists. Our new 42,000 sq ft, state-of-the-art veterinary hospital – located in Basildon, Essex – is NOW OPEN!
Our new facility provides one of the largest and best-equipped multi-disciplinary veterinary referral centres in not only the UK, but also throughout Europe.
Our new £16 million state-of-the-art complex is one of the largest veterinary referral centres in the UK and boasts some of the finest 24/7 facilities.
- Innovative cancer treatment facilities
- Full diagnostics suites
- 24/7 Emergency Referral Service
- Seven operating theatres, recovery suites and ICU including 14 consultation rooms
- 195 kennels including 171 for dogs and 24 for cats including a dedicated cat care team
Our new building is designed to make our patients feel at ease. We’ve consulted a specialist animal behaviourist throughout the design process. We’ve carefully planned our patient journey to minimise stress and reduce anxiety. Features include:
- Separate cat and dog entrance and waiting areas
- Dedicated cat treatment facility
- Walking and comfort areas for patients
- Separate Dog and cat exercise areas
Click here to read more about our patient journey.
Our building has been constructed using sustainable practices. We’ve consulted closely with Investors in the Environment and a sustainability consultant to reduce our environmental impact, not only during construction but also in the ongoing running of the hospital.
Grand Opening Event
Thursday 29th September was a momentous occasion for Southfields Veterinary Specialists, as its new 42,000 sq. ft referral centre opened its doors to more than 150 guests in Basildon!
To celebrate the launch, we were joined by BBC broadcaster Nick Baker, well-known for his work on the TV shows Springwatch and Autumnwatch Unsprung.
The state-of-the-art new hospital is one of the largest hospitals in Europe. It is equipped with seven operating rooms, sixteen consultation rooms, recovery suites, lecture halls, an ICU department, and plans for a hydrotherapy suite in the future.
Tour of our Oncology and Radiotherapy Suite
Watch our video to find out more about all the facilities and advanced technology we’ve invested in for our purpose-built dedicated Oncology and Radiotherapy Suite.
Best in class technology
We’ve invested in the latest technology to deliver the best diagnosis and treatments possible for our patients.
At Southfields, we’re well known for our expertise in the treatment of cancer in dogs and cats. Our new Oncology equipment and facilities will enable us to offer one of the most advanced services in the UK.
- Dedicated Oncology Suite with world-class facilities
- High-precision Varian TrueBeam® radiotherapy system enabling dramatically reduced treatment duration and advanced treatments with precise dosage delivery
- Separate entrance and reception for oncology patients
- Separate waiting area for outpatient treatment
- Two chemotherapy rooms
- LINAC building incorporating patient prep, viewing and control rooms
We’ve also invested £3m in state-of-the-art MRI and CT systems for our new cutting-edge diagnostics suite, which also includes:
- Two x-ray rooms – one equipped with fluoroscopy unit
- Two ultrasound rooms
- Holter monitors
- Endoscopy department
- Cardiology room
- Imaging prep room for patient prep and recovery
- Imaging reading room
We’ve enhanced our ECC and ICU facilities with:
- 24/7 Emergency service
- Separate emergency entrance
- Separate emergency treatment centre with consulting rooms
- Four centralised preparation bays
- Several specialised ventilator
- Fully functioning ICU department with state-of-the-art IntensoBox intensive care units – incubator-style “life-saving chamber” with oxygen supply, temperature and climate control for intensive care patients
Our extensive surgical facilities will provide capacity for up to 42 procedures a day and include:
- Seven operating theatres including four lead-lined theatres
- Dedicated theatre prep area
- Autoclave rooms
- Surgery recovery room
- Sterilisation services department
- Mobile X-ray
- Fluoroscopy for interventional procedures
An expert multi-disciplinary team delivering
outstanding clinical care
Following recent expansion of our services, Southfields Veterinary Specialists now offers 14 multi-disciplinary services:
- Anaesthesia and Analgesia
- Dentistry and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency and Critical Care
- Exotic Pets
- Internal Medicine
- Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Soft Tissue Surgery
Following our move into our new hospital we’re continuing to expand our expert team of Specialists, Clinicians, Nurses, Residents, Interns and support staff. Click here to register your interest and sign up for job updates.
Register for Job Updates
As well as considering the needs of our patients when designing our new hospital, we’ve also taken into account the needs of our team members.
Our new building provides a light and airy working environment, with natural light streaming throughout both floors. We’ve incorporated wellbeing facilities for our own team and a training centre accessible to our colleagues in the wider veterinary industry.
Education centre offering qualifications and courses:
- Lecture halls for CPD and in-house training
- Staff room and outdoor terrace
- Dedicated staff wellbeing area
- Exercise and relaxation classes for our team
- Range of activities to benefit body and mind