The Neurology service investigates and treats diseases of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. We realise that seeing their pet afflicted with a neurological condition can be deeply distressing for pet owners. Rest assured that your pet will receive only the highest standards of care and expertise here at Southfields. The experience of our Neurology specialists, combined with our excellent facilities, enables us to provide one of the most advanced Neurology referral services in the UK.
As part of a multi-disciplinary approach to patient care, our Neurology team are fully supported by specialists in our Orthopaedic, Anaesthesia, Internal Medicine and Soft Tissue Surgery teams. Our Diagnostic Imaging Specialists and extensive Diagnostic Imaging facilities ensure that we are able to provide rapid interpretation, diagnosis and treatment for all patients referred to us with neurological problems.
Our Specialist-led Hearing Clinic offers the BAER (Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response) hearing screening test. BAER screening is recommended for dog and cat breeds on screening programmes for congenital deafness and for individuals where hearing loss is suspected. Click here to find out more.
Supporting referring vets
Our RCVS and European Specialist-led neurology team offer complete medical and surgical services for all types of neurological conditions. Our experienced team are passionate about providing support to general practitioners. We’re always happy to offer advice over the phone and we endeavour to see all urgent appointments on the day of referral.
How our Neurology service can help
Conditions we treat
- Spinal cord diseases including disc disease, wobbler syndrome, Chiari malformation, movement disorders
- Congenital malformations including surgery for hydrocephalus, spinal malformation and tethered cord syndrome
- Brain and spinal trauma including fractures
- Brain and spinal tumours including diagnosis, surgical and medical management
- Epilepsy including cases refractory to treatment
- Infectious and inflammatory CNS diseases
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Peripheral neuropathies
Advanced clinical services include:
- Wide range of spinal and intra-cranial surgical procedures, including placement of ventriculoperitoneal shunt, scoliosis surgery, Chiari-like surgery, and brain tumour removal with titanium reconstruction
- Neuromuscular investigations
- Nerve and muscle biopsies
- Long consultations facilitating detailed discussions of complex cases with owners
- Epilepsy clinics
- Treatment of inoperable brain tumours working with the surgical and radiotherapy teams
- Advanced nursing care 24/7, including rehabilitation and physiotherapy nurses.
- Superior intensive care for unstable epileptic patients (1:1 nursing care).
Equipment and facilities include:
- State-of-the-art surgical facilities
- Neuroimaging, a Specialist-led imaging service, routinely performed on the day of consultation, with every CT and high-field MRI tailored to the patient
- High-resolution 3D MRI reconstruction for evaluation of fine structures including cranial and spinal nerves and diffusion MRI (ADC mapping) to evaluate cerebrovascular accidents
- 64 slice CT scanner enabling 3D reconstruction and CT-myelography
- Advanced electrodiagnostic unit, including electromyography (EMG) and motor nerve conduction, as well as EEG recording
Our Neurology and Neurosurgery Team
We are passionate about providing the best possible care to our patients and their owners. Our Specialist-led team is supported by dedicated Residents, Interns, Nurses and Patient Care Assistants all with experience in providing attentive care for Neurology patients.
Meet The Team
"Molly is doing really well and is back to her normal naughty self! We honestly cannot thank everyone enough for the amazing care and treatment that she received and we are truly grateful. Thank you once again for giving our gorgeous girl the best chance possible. We cannot recommend you enough."