Our specialist orthopaedic surgeons specialise in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of orthopaedic conditions in both dogs and cats. Our extensive experience in small animal surgery ranges from minimally invasive key-hole surgery to limb deformity, we also provide sensitive care which is so important to your pet in post-operative recovery.
From discovery to recovery
When cats and dogs with acute and chronic orthopaedic conditions are referred to us, our first immediate action is always to investigate and understand the causes of their conditions. There are many and varied triggers of discomfort for your pets; these include lameness and a wide range of musculoskeletal disorders such as hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament disease, osteoarthritis and limb deformities.
Our Orthopaedics team identifies the appropriate path to take to ease any pain quickly and addresses the condition with the appropriate tried and tested procedure. We also perform trauma repair for urgent cases and work closely with our emergency out of hours team to provide 24-hour emergency surgery services.
Taking the journey together
We believe that the care of your pet, when referred to us for orthopaedic concerns, is a process of bringing you and our specialist-led teams together, making sure that you are fully informed about the options for treatment available to you, the expected prognosis and the costs that may be incurred along the way.
You will be in safe hands at Southfields, with our extensive surgical facilities, on-site specialists in diagnostic imaging and anaesthesia, and round-the-clock veterinary and nursing care ensuring that we provide the essential care often required for complex orthopaedic conditions.
Supporting referring vets
Our surgeons are highly experienced in preventing, diagnosing and treating orthopaedic conditions in dogs and cats. They are trained in the most advanced surgical techniques and implant procedures, using sophisticated equipment located here on-site at Southfields.
We offer fixed pricing for the most common orthopaedic procedures, and invite you to contact us for further information with no obligation to move forward to a referral. We will also assess orthopaedic X-rays free of charge ahead of potential referrals. Our team is always available to offer advice over the phone to our veterinary colleagues on any orthopaedic cases.
How our Orthopaedics service can help
Advanced clinical services include
- Fracture fixation including complex and simple fractures
- Cruciate disease including tibial osteotomies (TPLO, wedge osteotomy) and extracapsular repair
- Elbow dysplasia – investigation and treatment
- Joint luxation or ligament injuries, ligament repair or arthrodesis
- Lameness investigation in adults and juveniles
- Treatment of limb deformities
- Management of osteoarthritis
- Treatment of musculoskeletal neoplasia
- Fixed pricing for the most common orthopaedic procedures – please contact us for further information
- Orthopaedic X-rays assessed free of charge ahead of potential referrals
On-site surgical facilities include
- Seven operating theatres including four lead-lined theatres
- Four dedicated theatre prep areas
- Advanced imaging including MRI, CT and intra-operative fluoroscopy
- Locking Synthes plates and screws (including TPLO plates)
- Colibri battery-powered drill and oscillating saw
- Piezoelectric bone scalpel
- External fixator
- Storz arthroscope and video tower
Caring for our surgical patients
- Fully equipped ICU
- Recovery suites for surgical patients with two incubators
- Separate cat and dog wards
- 24/7 Nursing care
- Specialist anaesthesia team develop perioperative plan for each patient
Our Orthopaedics Team
Our RCVS and European Specialist-led orthopaedic surgical team at Southfields includes dedicated surgical and theatre nurses and technicians who work alongside the clinicians, residents and interns to provide seamless care for our orthopaedic patients. Veterinary Orthopaedics is a constantly changing field and our team keep up to date with new procedures and surgical techniques.
Meet The Team
"I cannot recommend you highly enough, as I honestly believe that without the expert knowledge, surgery and care my Newfoundland Rufus has received, he would not be with me today."