Southfields is one of the few centres in the UK to offer in-house radiation as part of our treatment for cancer. Led by a world-renowned RCVS and European Specialist, our radiation team has many years of experience dealing with radiation oncology cases.
The radiotherapy service enables referred patients to access a full-time, fully functioning linear accelerator (LINAC), which uses ionizing radiation to accurately target and treat neoplasia and occasionally specific benign diseases.
Our service also offers a unique online platform that allows the referring veterinary surgeons to enter some basic information with the client and then discuss the potential treatment plans before booking a referral.
Advanced clinical services include:
- definitive radiotherapy treatment (also known as curative-intent treatment), which is usually the protocol of choice for most cancers as it gives the best chance of long-term tumour control
- palliative radiotherapy treatment (also known as hypofractionated treatment), which delivers a lower dose of radiotherapy that is sufficient to slow the tumour’s growth or reduce associated pain
- low dose radiation therapy (LDRT) for osteoarthritis (OA), which is available for dogs to control chronic, unresponsive pain in the long-term.
Equipment and facilities include:
- bunker made from solid concrete and lead
- Varian linear accelerator
- sophisticated planning software, specifically to decide on correct treatment plans and ensure optimal treatment of cancer with minimal side effects and complications
- specialist vacuum bags for patient positioning to ensure accurate treatment.
Patient case advice
Making a referral
If you would like to refer a case, the quickest way is to complete our online referral form by clicking the button below.